Your Pet's Healthcare Starts at Home

Hazards For Your Pet In Your Garage & Yard

Before you allow your new pet out in your garage and yard, you need to make sure that those areas are free of hazards. Here is a brief list to help you make sure that these areas are safe for your new pet.


It is common to keep antifreeze in your garage if you service your vehicle yourself. Antifreeze contains propylene glycol, which is dangerous for your pet to eat or consume. Although antifreeze is not generally deadly, it can create serious complications for your pet. If you use antifreeze in your garage, make sure that you properly dispose of any old antifreeze.

Also, make sure that you clean up any spills before you let your pet into your garage area. You don't want your pet to lick up the antifreeze, thinking that it is water or food. Since antifreeze has a sweet smell that is appealing to animals, this is entirely possible. 

Herbicides & Insecticides

If you need to spray products outside to kill insects or fight back against diseases that are attacking your plants, you need to be careful with applying and storing these products. You need to keep these products inside of well-sealed storage containers inside of your garage. When you use these products, you need to keep your pet inside until the directions on the package indicate that it is safe for your pet to be in that area again.

With some products, you may need to wait for the product to dry before allowing your pet outside again and with other products you may need to wait a specific amount of time, such as a couple of days, before allowing your pets in the area again. It is a good idea to schedule a weekend where you plan on fertilizing your yard and applying herbicides and insecticides and boarding your pet for the weekend or having a friend watch your pet for the weekend. That way, there is no risk of your pet being harmed by the chemicals that you use outside of your house. Your pet will most likely have to go outside to use the bathroom, even if you keep them inside otherwise, which is why it is a good idea to have them stay somewhere else for the weekend while you use these types of products. 

Paints Products

A variety of paint products can be harmful to your pet, including paint, paint thinners, and other solvents. These type of paint products, if they come into contact with your pet's skin, could cause your pet's skin to become irritated. Depending on the level of exposure, some paint products can also give your pet a chemical burn, which you will need to seek treatment for right away.

In addition, if your pet eats any paint or paint product, they are most likely going to experience a major stomach ache. Even artist paints or crafting paint can have the same effect on your dog, which is why you should keep your pet away from those items as well.

Additionally, breathing in these fumes can be harmful to your pet's respiratory system. If you are using paint products, keep your pet away from the area until everything is complete dry and the fumes have dissipated. If you are doing a major painting project, just like if you plan to do some major work outside, it is a good idea to have your pet stay somewhere else until the paint is completely dry.

Make sure you take your pet to an animal hospital immediately if you fear they have ingested something they shouldn't have or if they encounter any other hazard.