Plants To Keep Out Of Your Garden This Spring If You Have A New Puppy
Puppies love to chew on just about anything they can get their teeth into, including the plants and vegetables that you have planted throughout your property. If you have a new puppy, be carefully about what you plant this spring.
Saponins is a component that is found naturally within a variety of different plants. The primary plants that saponins is found in that may end up in your backyard include hosta plants, nightshade plants, English holly, English ivy, buckeye, and aloe. If you have any of these plants already in your yard, you may want to put a fence around them to keep your dog away from them until they mature enough to leave the plants alone.
Of all the plants listed above, the one that you need to be the wariest of is aloe. Your dog is more likely to be exposed to aloe because not only it is a plant, but it is also a product that many people use to treat damaged skin with. Make sure that you keep both aloe plants and aloe products out of reach of your puppy. If you have aloe on your skin, make sure that your dog doesn't lick your skin when you have it on; they could still get poisoned from that level of contact.
Saponins poisoning generally manifests in your dog has diarrhea, dark urine, weight loss as well as muscle spasms.
Another component that naturally occurs in plants and but is poisonous to new puppy is n-propyl disulfide. This component is found in a variety of different plants, such as leeks, shallots, green onions, onions, and garlic. If you are growing any of these vegetables in your garden, be sure that you fence this area of your garden in and don't allow your dog into your garden.
After you pick these vegetables, make sure that you store them somewhere in your home where your puppy will not be able to get ahold of them and eat them.
The signs of poisoning associated with n-propyl disulfide are the same as saponins, so pay attention to your dog's bowel movements and urine and make sure that they are normal. Additionally, if your dog suddenly starts to lose weight or seems like they are not in control of their muscles, they may have been poisoned. If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned, take your dog to the vet right away and let them know what you think your dog may have been exposed to so they can move forward and narrow down what is causing your dog to be ill.
Click here to learn more about what plants are safe and dangerous to have around a pet.